Friday 4 January 2008

Bottom end rebuild starts!

Not a lot to report due to having to return to work. However, a bit of a milestone I suppose - I've actually started putting some bits back together. After attacking various bits with the steam cleaner, I wanted to put a bit of paint on some bits. More to protect the 'de-greased' castings from further oil and grease than anything else.

Working on the principal of re-assembling from the bottom upwards, The legs, crankcase and sump got a couple of coats of etcher primer/undercoat.

Once painted, I couldn't resist putting a couple of bits back together. So without further ado, the legs went back on the the crankcase (they'll probably have to come off at some time in the future, but for now - who cares!).

3 comments:

S said...

Blimey!! miracle worker or what, perhaps you really should take it up as a money making venture. You certainly couldn't do worse than most if not all the con men and half wits out there.

Regards

Jim

Mini said...

I see by your latest entry you are not retired. I had you down for a retired engine nerd, but you do appear to know what you are doing. So far it's looking great. What will you do with it when it is finished?

Steve said...

Mini
Thanks for the kind(?) comments. Not retired yet (47 actually). Many years ago I considered myself as a professional engineer (I even have qualifications to prove it). Now I spend most of my time pushing a pen at work. The engine keeps me sane(?). The plan is that it will be fitted in a new build, 62' Narrowboat tug hull.