Saturday 12 January 2008

Doh!

You know.... there are some times when you can be such a plank. In fairness, I've been a 'plank' so often I could probably board out a house!

I've just found out that I've been a plank again.

'Mini' left a comment on the last posting...."you seem to know what you are doing"......

It was of course the kiss of 'plank-dome'.

As you will know, I struggled like hell to get the liners out. In the end though, out they came.


Swallow has a magnificent National 2DM. The web site also illustrates the manual and some other documentation. The last two pages show the RN liner puller. What's the first operation that you should do:
1. (at the bottom of the liner) Unscrew nuts & remove gland.

What gland? What nuts? It was all hidden under oil sludge. I though there would be 'O' rings at the bottom - not a stuffing box!

I wonder how much blood, sweat and tears would been necessary if I had..."unscrewed nuts & removed glands".

Guess what the next job is?....

....Unscrewing nuts and removing glands... At least it will be easy to remove the packing material. Lets hope I haven't cracked any of the collars in my session of brute force and ignorance!
Mini - do you want to put in a revised post?

2 comments:

Mini said...

Steve

Oh dear! Oh dear! You certainly were a bit of a plank. Why is it men always think they need to use brute force to solve a problem. In any future situations like this explain the problem to your wife (if you have one) and ask her advice. Women use logic and common sense to solve a problem. It may be sexist but it’s true.
When tinkering with engines I always use logic, I wouldn’t like to get all hot and sweaty. I can do that in much more interesting ways.

Mini

Vix said...

Steve

This just goes to show that you do need more in a tool box than just a hammer to fix things.

Vix