Tuesday 1 January 2008

A New Year!

A happy new year to one and all. I hope everything you wish for comes your way.

Will 2008 see National 3D 56214 running? Will the boat be built? Will my family ever understand me? Only the last one I can say for sure - the answers a big resounding NO. Here's a little tale which probably sum it up:

How did you spend New Years Eve? I went to Tesco's car park in Banbury and met a very pretty young woman by the recycling bins. Why? Engine bits of course!

I get an email from Lionel (the engines previous custodian). "In the process of garage sort-out have found the National balance weights, can you ring me ASAP".

Phone call duly ensues. His daughter is going to party the night away in Banbury and, to save a trip up to the Welsh/Shropshire borders, she could meet me and hand over the missing items. Arrangements are made and, when the rest of my household are getting ready to go out for the evening, I'm heading for Banbury.

The meeting takes place and the goods transferred from one boot to another. I wish her a happy new year and get that knowing smile back. Its the one my daughter often gives me....'Dad, your sad'....

Thank you Catherine, for meeting a strange man in Tesco's car park.

As it turns out, I get back in plenty of time to get showered, put the glad rags on and join in the festivities!

A win-win situation all round. They still don't understand me though!

Have a good 2008

No comments: